Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Celebration of the Life of Wesley Paul Foreman

Of course, I was sad when I learned my Grandpa Wes had died, but I knew he lived a good life. He was a kind, lovely man who was a veteran, chemist, and avid Badger fan. He loved a good game of football and couldn't stay away from the games. He also used to tell me stories about his days in his college fraternity- frat brothers puking on the rugs from drinking too much and all- and even about how he was suspicious he worked on the A-bomb (the government never really said what they were doing, just that they needed to do it). He never complained about anything and was happy to just be. Everyone loved him- and I really mean that. Everyone. He was a top notch guy.



Wes asked that no one be sad when he died in his funeral instructions. He wanted his loved ones to celebrate his life and know that he was content. My aunt Nancy hired a historian to help Wes write his life story a few years before he died. The book is called Bats, Bases, and Burets for his love of baseball and chemistry, but only a few copies were printed for the family. I am so glad she did this.


Here are a few excerpted quotes from his book, so you can get an idea about his philosophy on life and what he was like:





---

I had been planning on spending part of my Spring Break visiting Wes because he was sick. I usually come to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving, but I missed the last family get-together because I was in Australia. However, I found out about a week and a half ago that he passed on. I am happy that I came to see my family in the Midwest, but I do wish it was under other circumstances.
Nancy, Heather (the new inductee!), Andrew, Ira, Myra, Terry, Linda,  Helena, and myself

I did not tell most people the real reason I was going to Wisconsin because (at the time) it was either too fresh and I didn't know what to make of the situation- or just inappropriate to share. I was not trying to be duplicitous, just trying to gauge my feelings (which is why I am sharing this information on my blog). I also know some of my posts are more frivolous, but I feel that Wes's outlook on life (and death) is important to share.

I hope for my own death that no one is sad and that people will consider how I have also been living a good life. I am very content. Things are far from perfect, but they do not need to be. Be happy for just being.

No comments:

Post a Comment