Monday, October 7, 2013

Mi madre visits and other small NYC adventures

Hey internet!

I haven't been writing much lately, but I have been busy. However, this excuse makes me question my own focus: Am I making time to relax? Working hard enough? Writing enough? Advancing my knowledge by reading and learning as much as I should? Seeing my friends enough? Is anything I am doing enough or am I just slacking? The whole thought process makes my head spin, but I know nothing will ever be enough. As I have written before, I am not sure that I ever can or will be satisfied, so I question everything. Then again, maybe when I stop questioning everything is the time to worry.

Maybe I still am shiny and green and new. I am almost done reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (I read slow) and The Principles by Ray Dalio. I watched the pilot of Skins: Season 7 yesterday, but was too tired to watch more (I WILL WATCH THE REST). Speaking/ writing of which, I need to get my binge tv watching on. A more serious goal that I have is to get more qualifications/ certification in Google AdWords, Analytics, and DoubleClick. I also want to pick up my skating/ coaching, but I am going away the next few weekends (plus the season hasn't started yet), so I will get on that shortly.

I think I write a lot about my dissatisfactions/ worries, so here are some things I am lucky to have:
- amazing friends (so much food, so much excitement)
- living in NYC (the city of my dreams)
- having had the opportunity to travel the world and attend a top university
- lovely family
- awesome boyfriend
- interesting job
- a brain that seems to still be working

As for a general societal affliction to rant about: just because two people are dating doesn't mean that they are getting married and/or will have children in the near future- especially if said human is 20-years-old in present day America. Said human also has no idea what a 'serious relationship' is, so for everyone asking my if it's serious, I don't even know what that means. I like my boo and that is what I know right now. I can also say things and people change in a fickle city like this place, so don't count on anything.

As for uncertainties, I (naively) thought that once I had a job and apartment, I would know what to expect out of myself and others and life in general. Even now, that seems dumb. I definitely have a better handle on things, but I have so much I want to do though the finite details keep changing.

---

On a more sane(?) note, this is what I did recently:
- Hung out with the boo
- Went to Alice's Tea Cup, the Tenement Museum, and Ngam with mi madre (+ we walked all over the city, stopping through some stores, Hester Street Fair, and Chinatown)
- Coached a little
- Went to Liliana's birthday dinner in Fort Greene (I went to Brooklyn?!?) and got some of the best ice ever (Mexican Hot Chocolate- say what?) at Ample Hills (http://www.amplehills.com/flavors.php). It was amazing.
- Read some bookage
- Hit up Mad Square Eats (Calexico!) and saw Don Jon

Overall, I think I am living the way I want- in the city I love with the people I care for, doing fun things, running around a lot, eating amazing food, and making some money. This girl can't complain.

Updates on other things happening in this girl's life to come!

xoxo
S




No comments:

Post a Comment