Sunday, November 4, 2012

A weekend in the Great Barrier Reef


I arrived with a large group on friends to Cairns Thursday night to the unique experience of hoards of bats (I recognized their cries after my encounter with their epidemic proportions in the Outback a few weeks ago. Friday, we devoted the day to going out to Mission Beach to go sky diving. I can confidently say that the Great Barrier Reef is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen and skydiving was one of the coolest experiences of my life. It was just unreal. I thought I would be a lot more nervous, but I was just in awe of how beautiful everything was. When I was free falling from 14,000 feet in the air, I was exhilarated as I flew upside down out of the plane, circled around with the wind whipping my face, and finally parachuted over the vast ocean, landing softly on the beach where I later sunbathed for a while. The water was also incredibly warm- a perfect day to sky dive and chill at the beach. I am also happy I got to sky dive with friends- it made the experience so much more memorable.

Saturday, I went on a Great Barrier Reef cruise. We visited two different reefs where we went snorkeling and scuba diving. Both areas had gorgeous and diverse marine life. It was really breathtaking.  After the cruise, we went to the Lagoon by the Esplanade in the center of Cairns. We returned Sunday after a lazy day walking around. It was a really great weekend over all J Now, back to real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment