Monday, November 19, 2012

#SydCityTalk, Lebanese Food, SBS, Sydney Aquarium, NSW State Library, + Mosman Art Gallery

I saw a man walking his pig. Took a photo because that is my obligation as a virtual citizen to humanity. You are welcome. This is for real.
Tuesday, I did some volunteering and acted like I was a citizen of the lovely city of Sydney by attending a City Talk (Recipes for change: how food is changing the cultural and community life of cities) because I am a food nerd. I say food nerd because I find food policy (everything from GM foods to the Malthusian Moment) fascinating in that it is something that everyone has to care about because everyone has to eat- there is no getting around this aspect of involvement that is key to other political issues.

#SydCityTalk
One of the speakers at the Sydney City Talk, David McWilliams, was really inspiring. He is an economist/ jack of all trades, but did this awesome video on 'Punk Economics'/ how food is actually politics and economics. Basically, the whole event was very community-oriented, which I never thought was my thing, but I felt really inspired to be more of a citizen. By this I mean actually check out what government is doing and learn more about policy in both Sydney (while I am here) and NYC (when I return). I just read through the official Sydney 2030 plans and even though it was a bit dense, the plans are really interesting and inspiring. The city as a whole is going to become more sustainable and eco-friendly to combat climate change, boost tourism, and prove itself as a global leader- all positive things. Part of the reason I went is because I am working on a piece for my journalism class on urban gardening in Sydney. Once I write the piece, I will publish it on here.

Thursday, I took weird sleeping patterns to a whole 'nother level and went on a 'field trip' to eat at a Lebanese restaurant (because we could) with my Australian Society class. I have no qualms with free food, but really?

Friday, I visited SBS ("Australia's multicultural and multilingual broadcaster") studio because an NYU alumni works there and I wanted to check out the newsroom. I have been to the set of Good Morning America with NYU freshman year, but that is the only other studio tour-type thing I have done. This was different because I actually got to sit in on the news meetings, which was cool.
manatee!
Fishies!

Saturday, I went to the Sydney Aquarium. It was pretty cool, but honestly, I have been to better aquariums.
fish that naturally live in the Great Barrier Reef, where I saw these same fish wild!

Sunday, I went to the New South Wales State Library after freaking out and realizing I needed to change a paper topic. I finally got that library card, only to learn pretty much everything is on reserve and the books you can take out require a very long process that just isn't worth it, so I used the internet database (which you need a library card for). Now I can research all about Australia using the internet!

Monday, I had class and went on another field trip with my Aboriginal Art class. We went to the Mosman Art Gallery and listened to curators and artists talk about their work. Here are two pieces I liked:

...

 

As for my general feelings- weird. I am leaving Sydney in less than one month to go back home. I face uncertainty of where exactly I will be living, what classes I am taking (registration got pushed back because of Sandy, so nothing is for sure yet), if I will be interning, and what I am doing over winter break (specifically). I also am leaving Australia, which is going to be weird as is. This has been my home for the last 2.5 months and I am really in love with the City of Sydney. It feels like so long ago since I have arrived here, but the time has passed so quickly. I already have such fond memories, though my current favorites are skydiving, snorkeling, and scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef. Basically, that weekend made my life- definitely one of the coolest things I have ever done. Ever. Plus, being able to go to the beach whenever I feel like it in Sydney is really nice. Australia is such a lovely place, but I am also really excited to return to NYC. I am looking forward to skating again and coaching, seeing friends, petting my dogs, and eating my mom's food/ seeing my parents. Perhaps my last few months of international traveling have come to a halt and I will return to a near sense of normalcy, but only time will tell. As I ponder all of these things, I am starting my final papers and looking forward to my final trip to Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment