Friday, August 24, 2012

To catch up on these posts...


Coogee Beach

Wednesday, I went on a lovely walk through Hyde Park with Alex, Ben, Jon, and Marissa. Later, we all went to Coogee Beach by bus and then walked a scenic path to Bondi Beach (about 1 hour 15 minute hike through other beaches and parks). It was gorgeous and I barely have words to describe it. I feel so lucky to have this opportunity to be in Sydney and I hope to go to the beach on all of my off days- maybe read a book by the beach. Anyways, after finishing the hike, we ate fish and chips. Then, we sat on the beach, but it was a bit cold since it is Australia’s winter right now. I stripped down to my bikini and laid out on my towel with a book for a little bit anyways. Then, Jimmy invited me to run on the sand with him and I only committed to one half of Bondi since I was pretty tired and running on the sand is hard. It is crazy how many people were working out on the beach in the middle of the day! So many runners in the sand and beach volley ball players with perfect bodies were there being beautiful and stuff. After the beach, we enjoyed live jazz music in the New South Wales Gallery ArtBar. 


Probably one of the coolest sculptures at Sydney's Museum of Contemporary Art

Thursday, we visited the Museum of Contemporary Art, which is right at Sydney Harbor. The view is spectacular and the art is... a little weird even for my taste, but I definitely liked it. Thursday was also Danielle's birthday, so we had cookies and a cake for her. She is such a sweet heart. Later, we saw a play in Parramatta (a suburb just outside Sydney) called Australia Day at the Riverside Theatre. The play was well done and all that, but as a non-70-year-old Australian, it was hard to understand the political references (aka the entire play) and I was falling asleep because I was so tired.

Botanic Gardens flowers are in bloom (even though it is 'Winter')
Today (Friday in Sydney), we walked through the Sydney Botanic Gardens and then got lunch at Harry's Cafe de Wheels. I was impressed by the garden, but the lunch I was skeptical of. Who would think cheap meat pies would be so delicious? I got a beef curry tiger, which was a beef curry meat pie with peas, mashed potatoes, and gravy (the works) for 5.80 AUD (about $5.80 USD- this is very cheap for Australia!). After, we walked around the gardens a bit more, basked in the sun in one of the open parks, and went up close to the Opera House for photos. Ben is an amazing photographer and he has been sharing his photos with everyone, which is super nice. Later, we met out professors over coffee and cookies, which was nice. My professors seem smart and sane, which are always important things. I will talk more about my classes when I officialize my schedule. I also went to a barbecue tonight to meet people, but there were only sausages, which I don't eat, but there was a Brazilian Jujitsu demonstration there for entertainment. We are going out tonight for Danielle's birthday, which will be fun :)

View of the sea from the walk from Coogee to Bondi Beach
Also, I thought I would list some reasons why Australia is lovely and amazing:
- People are super nice and friendly (awesome accents a plus!)
- The weather is amazing! It has been windy, but Sydney's winter is nothing compared to what this New England girl is used to. The sun is out and it has been 75/80 F lately. Some of the others have said they felt cold, but I have felt perfectly fine.
- The animals are so cool and cute! Eels in ponds, ring-tailed possums in trees, and long beaked birds a plenty. I can't wait to go to Kangaroo Valley for wombats, wallaroos, and roo roos! Also, there is something called a Koala Breakfast where koalas surround you as you eat breakfast that I am looking forward to doing :)
- Water sports- surfing, sky diving, snorkeling, scuba diving, paddle boarding, sailing, swimming!
- Everyone is eco-conscious and the flora/fauna is breathtaking
- Art, media, exercise/ fitness, and food as all central points in Sydney-sider culture
- The beach!
- Multi-culturalism is important
- The men are beautiful. Like the most beautiful men I have ever seen in my life walk the streets as if they are not some mutant strain of gorgeous. On the other hand, the women are average in my eyes in comparison to other countries. (Of course, this is just all my opinion)

A domani!


No comments:

Post a Comment