Thursday, August 30, 2012

University of Sydney is like Hogwarts... but obsessed with America...

Wednesday, I went to my Global Media class for the first time and it seems like it is going to be pretty awesome, but a lot of reading. Right now, I am starting to read a bit of Walden for my Journalism and the Environment class, but I am slow. Anyways, after class, we were invited to the University of Sydney's United States Study Center for a reception honoring NYU's arrival in Sydney, as well as to meet Australian students who love America. And god, they really love America. All of the students who showed up to eat free food and drink free wine and beer also are obsessed with the upcoming elections and all wanted to move to America once they were done with school. Most of them had done more traveling in the USA than I had- LA, Las Vegas, Washington state, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Boston, NYC, New Orleans, Miami, and they kept listing places (and actually, I have been to all of the places I just listed except for LA and Dallas, but who's counting?). The University of Sydney campus is gorgeous and legit looks like Hogwarts- it has the huge gothic buildings, sprawling campus, and people with vaguely-British-sounding (but actually just Australian and lots of international student) accents. Also, the campus is next to one of the most epic playgrounds ever that has swings, a slide, and a wire gliding thingy. Yeah. It's pretty awesome. Anyways, now we are kind of friends with the kids who invited us to hang out next week and to a few future parties. I am mostly excited by the prospect of celebrating Halloween at the moment, but I don't know what I will try to be- we will see. Today, I went  to the gym, went to class, made veggie-rice soup, and signed up for a student id card (which was an adventuresome process to say the least). I also have started worrying about my Fall Break planning, which I realized is in about a month, but that is something I don't want to be stressful.

A domani ragazzi!

No comments:

Post a Comment