Sunday, September 2, 2012

Cockatoo Island and Prince Albert Park

Saturday, I went to Cockatoo Island to see the 18th Biennale of Sydney. It is basically a whole bunch of art from tons of different artists on different parts of the island- when on the cement port, inside tunnels in a cave, inside old warehouse buildings, or hidden in old jail cells. Cockatoo Island used to be a reform school, jail, and industrial area, so I think art is a good alternative for 2012. The island was really beautiful and the art was amazing. I went on a tour, as well. One of the featured pieces on the tour was a giant box with a midden (empty oyster shell pile usually created by Aboriginals) and teacups mixed in. It was really beautiful and was meant to represent the relations in Australia between colonials and natives. I also really like an area on the edge of the island with a tiny entrance that people had to crouch to enter the enclosed cement box. Inside was a secret stash of billowing wind chimes with all different colors. They clicked and clacked in the wind and it felt like knocking on the sky. So beautiful. Most of the other pieces I loved were giant papers of assorted colors hanging from ceilings. There was a similarly constructed room draped in different colored fabrics with mismatched buttons and ribbons hanging from the wrapped ceiling, hiding a long table that extended down the room with various teacups for a completely marvelous Alice in Wonderland theme. It was spectacular. Also, I loved getting to spend some time by myself, which I hadn't done in a while. It felt nice. I also read a bit while waiting for the ferry back and relaxing on the lawn there. I would definitely go back, especially since the ferry is free. Next weekend if the weather is nice, I will go to Manly Beach, though. When I came back, I just read for school and talked to my parents on skype. I ate some ramen, which I have been doing a lot of lately- having ramen cravings, that is. I finished most of my readings, which is good.

Sunday, I went to the gym, read for school, did laundry, talked to my brother on Skype about his first week at college, and talked to some friends to try to figure out my fall break plans. I am so confused about it at the moment. In the afternoon, we went to Prince Albert Park and swang on the swings, talked, and read a bit. There were tons of dogs, people playing sports, and picnics. It is close by and a cute park to hang out in that is nice for an afternoon place to read, but I might chose somewhere closer to campus to read in The Rocks. I should do a bit more homework... not that I want to.

A domani!

No comments:

Post a Comment