Saturday, September 8, 2012

Saturday at Manly like a Lady

Today is Saturday here and I went to Manly Beach. I rode the ferry to get there from Circular Quay and the ride was nice (about 30 minutes and gorgeous views of the water and the outer edges of Sydney). I didn't realize (which makes me feel pretty stupid), but Manly is completely separate from Sydney and is very different from the other beaches I went to like Bondi and Coogee.  There were tons of shops and places to eat from where the ferry drops passengers off leading to the beach. It felt like a beach town- not just a beach. Apparently, there is also a museum and some other stuff special to Manly, but I was mostly interested in the beach. I got some food (everything is so expensive in Australia, i.e. $4 coffee and $7 pizza) from Hungry Jacks (actually its Burger King with a different name) to save money and because I was craving a burger (which is rare). It was actually just what I wanted. After, I laid out of the beach and read the newspaper, a tour book of Sydney, and finished a book I was reading on happiness. I also started 'The Lovely Bones' the other day and I really like it so far. Anyways, the beach was really nice, but I prefer Bondi so far. I want to check out Tamarama Beach next (next to Bondi) and want to do the walk from Coogee to Bondi again. In comparison, Manly Ferry is expensive, it is further away than the other beaches, more crowded than other beaches because the actual beach/ sand part is really short, and it is really loud. There were lots of children and families, which is nice, but I prefer the space and more mixed vibe of Bondi. I also am thinking about writing a paper on Bondi Beach/ the obsession with looking perfect as part of Australian beach culture for my Australian society class, so going to Bondi several more times will count as 'research.' I am really happy I went to the beach and did something for myself rather than bathing in homework, which is important, but I honestly don't have anything I HAVE to do today. I can do some work after I am done writing this post and tomorrow. I almost finished my presentation for journalism on the environment movement for Monday. I just want to practice presenting out loud and all that to check for mistakes and inconsistencies. I have 2 readings I also need to do for my global media class, but that should be do-able tonight. I feel like I am in Sydney and should not stay inside all day- plus, it is Saturday. Anyways,  after the beach, I went to the gym and now I am making food. Yesterday, I just interned and heard about cocaine snorting fashion designers misbehaving at New Zealand Fashion Week (and did some work). Anyways, I have work to do...

A domani!

No comments:

Post a Comment