Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Jedda and a Sydney Food Crawl

On Tuesday, I watched the film Jedda as part of my Aboriginal Art class in the lovely auditorium in Science House. The filmmakers were not Aboriginal and it was a super racist movie, leading me to the conclusion that it was not Aboriginal art. However, there were a few Aboriginal people in the film as well as abductions and suicide. You know, stuff I want to see in the middle of the day. Well... at least we were fed by NYU. After, I went to the gym and locked myself in my room to watch Netflix- a common theme of this week since I am super ahead in my homework (actually almost more than a week ahead and literally did nothing this week). Anyways, I forgot to mention I got chili hot chocolate with Jackie at The Chocolate Room on Sussex Street. It was probably the best hot chocolate of my life, but the person working there was really weird...

On the theme of watching movies and eating food, that is what I did for most of today. I slept in late, went to class (where we had a guest speaker who was a comedian/ actor with a short film featuring him choosing a favorite twin and telling us in real life about his friend who was a cousin kissing mess- and yes, this is what my fancy education buys me), went to the gym, watched some more Netflix, walked around Darling Harbor to enliven my skin with sunlight, and got delicious food in Haymarket. I went to the famed malaysian spot Mamak for roti with 3 different sauce for $5.50- great deal in this town. However, it is clear my priorities lie in being healthy as I downed an $8 giant mango dessert (neopolitan ice cream, shaved ice, mango, and other substances that are delicious) from the Taiwanese dessert house chain Meet Fresh in my workout clothes as real runners passed me with judgement in their eyes in the park. Other things I consumed today (and yes, they were not good): grande soy green tea latte from Starbucks (starting off my day with too sweet drinks I have never had before, and at Starbucks for too much money- I am seriously bonkers); "naan" from chinese bakery (okay, this was actually amazing, but really greasy); and milky custard red bean bun (nasty, threw away most of it even though the ingredients sounded good). I think I am going to stick to making food myself (I just gave up today) and eating at the healthy places like Sumo Salad and Salad Plus (things here are hilariously named). The best thing I ate today was hands down the Meet Fresh mango dessert. Worth spending significantly more on dessert than dinner. I tried a few things I had been craving. But actually, I need to start eating more fruits and vegetables after today.

A domani!

No comments:

Post a Comment