Thursday, October 18, 2012

Triple Birthday and SURFING!!!

Yesterday was the Triple Birthday: 3/20 people in my program had their birthday on October 18th. Happy Birthday to Jackie, Alex, and Jimmy! This statistical anomaly truly was discussed for the past 2 months we have been in Sydney, with good reason. There was cake and lots of celebrating.

Today, I made my theoretical schedule for next semester/ my last semester of college in my panic of receiving 2 emails about registering for classes. Hopefully, I will be taking Into to Marketing, Senior Media Seminar: Digital Happiness, Mass Persuasion and Propaganda, and the rest I have in mind I will not reveal until later (but they do have to do with communication and stuff like that). After my panicked schedule making, I left for Maroubra Beach to learn how to surf. Even though Bondi is my favorite beach, I had never been to Maroubra, which happens to be the beach where all of the surf competitions are held in Sydney and where all of the professional surfers catch waves. There were 2 other people in my class who were a super nice couple from New Zealand and England. Our instructor literally looked like a Ken doll. His name was Jake and he had blond hair with eyes the color of the ocean (I am not just saying that, I had the ocean right there for comparison). We went over basic stuff and I tried to stand up, but was fairly unsuccessful. However, I did catch a lot of waves without fully standing up and caught lots of salt water up my nose. Regardless, it was an amazing experience. The feeling of the waves pushing you forward is really breath taking. It was just great. Usually, I am better at describing things, but I felt really happy and had a lot of fun, which was more important to me than being amazing at surfing randomly. After two hours of surfing, I wiggled out of my wet suit and laid on the sand for a bit. It was really relaxing considering how much energy I felt I used surfing. Surfing is actually pretty hard, but totally worth the effort. I am jealous of locals who get to surf every day (or just hang by the beach). I saw a few dolphins by where we were surfing, which was pretty awesome. Locals also wake board and snorkel when they aren't playing rugby on the sand. Basically, I am jealous of people who get to hang by the beach all the time (period).

As a side note, the whole time I was surfing, this song was playing in my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpadYhXHgwA

In summary, I felt like a bad ass today.

No comments:

Post a Comment