Saturday, October 6, 2012

Back to Sydney from the outback

I had a crazy and long vacation from school in the outback. Honestly, it was really hard at times, but now that I am outside of my experience waiting in the Alice Springs airport, I learned a lot from my experience. I traveled with 3 classmates on 3 three day tours (do 9 days on touring plus 2 days of travel). We started with 3 days in Kakadu from Darwin, continued from Darwin to Alice springs for 3 days, and then traveled to Uluru from Alice Springs for the last 3 days. I am exhausted, but the following are highlights of why I did:

Day 1:
- swam in rock pool
- Swam in waterfall park (Florence falls)
- went on crocodile cruise on a billabong
- saw termite hill cemetery
- swam in a real pool

Day 2:
- visited aboriginal cultural center
- aboriginal rock art/ 360 degree views
- cave swimming and cliff jumping

Day 3:
- Jim Jim falls swim and hike
- twin falls swim and hike

Day 4:
- saw famous dead buffalo on the road and witnessed an incredible sunset
- 4 hours kayaking

Day 5:
- thermal pool under a bat colony
- pub with zoo and museum
- 1st pub in northern territory
- witnessed baby kangaroo rescue and held it in a blanket by campfire to stay warm without its mother

Day 6:
- devil's marbles
- 1st telegraph station in the northern territory
- kangaroos!!!

Day 7:
- camel ride
- hike kjata tjuta
- saw sunset at Uluru
- slept under the stars (the brightest I have ever seen!)

Day 8:
- sunrise at Uluru
- walked around Uluru (5k), as well as with aboriginal guided tour
- Uluru cultural center
- salt lakes!
- swimming!

Day 9:
- hiked king's canyon (3.5 hour creek walk)

As for wild animals, I spotted:
- kangaroos
- horses
- dingoes
- eagles
- crocodiles
- cockatoos
- water snakes
- various lizards and birds
- emus and camels (not in the wild, but I thought they were really cool to see at rest stops)

I feel like I have a lot to do when I get back to Sydney and I am very happy to have both phone an Internet access again now that I am getting out of the middle of the desert! This week, I have 4 field trips coming up including a weekend trip to Canberra.

A domani!

No comments:

Post a Comment